City Attorney - Eric H. Burns
Appointed by the Mayor, the City Attorney is assigned to the following duties and powers for the City as well as departments within the City:
- Managing of the city's law business and the legal affairs of each department
- Prosecuting violations of City Code or other city ordinances
- Serving as the City legal advisor
- Preparing cases, ordinances, contracts and other legal papers
- Handling city litigation
- Performing title searches and examining abstracts necessary to opening or improve streets or other public property
- Instituting proceedings necessary to protect the rights of the city and/or the public
Current City Attorney Eric Burns is a Partner in the Withered Burns & Persin Law firm. Aside from his collegiate years and attending law school in Virginia, he is a life-long local resident. He is a product of the West Lafayette School System as well as Wabash College and Washington & Lee School of Law from which he earned his J.D.
After completing the Indiana State Bar in 1982 he was admitted to practice in the State of Indiana and has been in private practice in Lafayette ever since. He was Corporation Counsel for the City of Lafayette from 1996 to 2003.
As a community supporter he is Past President of the Group Homes for Children as well as the Greater Lafayette Volunteer Bureau and the Culver Summer School Alumni Association. He has also been active with the Lafayette chapter of the American Red Cross; the YWCA Foundation; the Tippecanoe County Historical Association (Past Vice-President); the United Way of Greater Lafayette (Past Professional Division Chair); and was awarded the Governor's Voluntary Action Service Award in 1995.