In This Department
Boards & Commissions
Mayor John R. Dennis
The mayor is the chief executive officer of the city and is responsible for overseeing operations of the city departments. He also presides over the City Council and Board of Public Works and Safety.
Educated in the West Lafayette School system he went on to receive his Bachelor's in Safety Engineering and Master's in Criminology both from Indiana State University. Following college he joined the Lafayette, Indiana police force where he rose through the ranks from patrolman to Deputy Chief, the highest-ranking merit position. In addition, he received numerous awards and recognitions, including Officer of the Year.
An avid supporter of community service he is actively involved in the American Red Cross, the Community and Family Resource Center, the Girl Scouts, the Marquis Foundation, United Way, adjunct faculty - Ivy Tech, and a member of Kiwanis.
The Mayor's powers and duties include:
- Enforcing the ordinances of the city and the statutes of the state
- Providing a "State of the City" summary to the City Council at least once per year
- Providing information regarding city affairs that the Common Council requests
- Recommending action to the City Council
- Preparing the city budget for council review
- Calling special meetings of the City Council when necessary
- Supervising subordinate officers
- Signing all bonds, deeds, contracts and licenses issued by the city
- Approving or vetoing ordinances and resolutions of the City Council (veto power subject to Council override, may be exercised on an item basis on appropriation measures)
- Appointing heads of executive departments and many board and commission members
- Suspending or removing many officers or employees appointed by the Mayor
- Setting the salaries of appointed officials and employees, subject to City Council approval